Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:20:35 -0500
On 7/11/2010 10:21 PM, Carol Richards wrote:
> I have been reading the comments posted and I would like to add my $.03
> (inflation).worth.

[snip]
> 4. As for ways to acomplish this fact, suggestions have been proposed to
> eliminate the "recognition factor" with the use of technology. ( pre-recorded
> .wav files, the
>      mandatory use of F-1 - F-12 keys, etc. ) I contend that such impositions
> will be counter-productive to the basic premise of WRTC; i.e., the emphasis
> on operating
>      skills.

Agreed!  Good "Mic" work is just as much a skill as good CW work! You
can hear them all the same strength,  yet one guy sounds hurried and un
organized,  yet the other seems relaxed to the point of almost going to
sleep  yet he/she is soo efficient they are making twice as many
contacts because of nice smooth operation.
> "Cheerleading" is always a factor in competion. The Super Bowl, the World
> Series, the World Cup etc. are prime examples of its' influence. Even the
> so-called "home venue" may have some effect on the outcome of an event.
> Cheerleading has become an accepted practice.
In addition,  OK, R36F was figured out who the team was that was
operating it, and all their friends started to spot them. as

Martin, LU5DX says,
"""
Howdy Hans.
That's correct. 21 more spots respect to the second most spotted station. That's
21%. And that 21 % was produced only by Willy UA9BA and Igor UA9CDC.
No wonder, since Willy publicly indicated that he was going to over spot the UA
team over the others, no only that,  he encouraged other rusian stations to
favor the UA team."""

So  there ya go guys. Level the playing field? Once you are absolutely
sure who is "Your Team"  start spotting them!  Get in the game as a
spectator just like any other sport  the home team and or the spectator
factor.

You may not have been chosen to go and operate there.  But is there
anything against the rules about you helping them out with spots when
needed? If it was all legal for the UA's to do it,  well,  we did not,
as K's. Our teams loss?  maybe?  in the spirit of the competition?
Probably not.  But to take it again to the Olympics comparison.

When we here in the USA obeyed the laws and rules of the Olympics on in
that all competitors must be amateurs,  and of course we would a lot get
our butts handed to us by the soviet bock countries and their
"Amateurs"  When the Olympics finally got to the point of being send us
your best  pro or not is when the playing field truly got leveled.

Think Basketball and Hockey.  Think we'd have any chance with our
amateurs against the rest of the worlds pros out there?

If you wanted team USA to win in this contest, and everyone else is
cheerleading,  should you help?  I don't know.  It's hard to say.  Some
want to win at all costs.  Cheating is even OK if it gives me a win type
of person. And we all know those are out there.  But how shallow of a
win is that?

We all can just ignore the cheerrleading factor and ignore that R36F
takes first place and that the second place is truly the winner?  I
don't know.

Other than joining in and cheerlead your team,  I really don't see
another way to fix this and again level out the field,  Of course then
if every W/K station chipped in and cheerleaded  like wow  hows that for
un level field true?

Joe WB9SBD