Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC SSB Signal strengths

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC SSB Signal strengths
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 05:37:27 +0100
During the IARU contest I made several 200 khz wide spectrum recordings of
the 20m SSB portion with the Perseus SDR, as heard in VE6 land.  The files
and the demo software to play them are located at:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/vNjECWRg/IARU_2010.html

Using the software, you can play back the recordings, tune in any of the
signals, adjust the filter bandwidth and read the signal strengths just as
if you were doing it live.  If you are not familiar with the software you
may need to study the finer points of the manual at
http://www.microtelecom.it/perseus/software.html  . The file names indicate
the center frequency (+-100 khz is recorded) and the UTC time.  The
recordings are about 1 minute long and about 85 megs. These recording were
taken at 1420, 2205 (July 10) and 0342, 0635 UTC (July 11).

We had good band conditions to Europe on 20m for most (I missed a few hours)
of the 24 hours.  The R3xx signals are in there, obviously not the biggest
signals on the band, but quite OK at times.  I suspect that they were not
intentionally beaming our way much of the time. The RX antenna used was a 5
el yagi at 200'.

There are a number of rather over modulated SSB signals, creating wider than
normal signals  that made copy of the weaker ones beside them pretty tough
but also made themselves hard to copy.  Use these recordings to check your
audio quality and bandwidth and perhaps improve things for everyone on the
band.

Similar recordings for the CQ WPX 2010 SSB contest are located at
http://www.4shared.com/dir/GfpnC9Hw/sharing.html

73 Don
VE6JY