[CQ-Contest] it's time to appreciate the difficulty of entering the assi

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] it's time to appreciate the difficulty of entering the assisted category
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:47:52 +0000 (GMT)
The following is an expression of my opinion and should not, in any way, be
construed to be
the position of any contest committee with which I may be associated (although
it could be).

There are lots of categories of entry for a reason; people enjoy different
things.

While many denigrate the use of DX Spotting in contesting, the fact is that it
is really
difficult to successfully marry the use of DX Spotting with running so as to
yield a winning score.

Guys who simply "work the spots" are not really contesting, they are doing
something more
akin to DXing.  I'm talking about the serious contesters out there who enter
the assisted
category with the intention of winning (place or show) in that category.

The trick is to balance running with picking up mults.  Too much time spent on
mults (in those
horrid packet-pile-ups) will ruin your score.  Skip too many mults found via
cluster, and you
won't maximize your score either.

Those who use Skimmer have it even more difficult.  They are flooded with
information.  How
do they sort it all out and find the correct ratio of "what to do?"

Lots of folks feel that SO2R should be its own category because it is so good
at improving
one's score.  But there isn't a single person who has tried SO2R who thinks it
is easy to just
jump in and win, place, or show.  Almost every article I have read always
mentions the
initial slump in scores as you try SO2R.  SO2R is HARD to do.  Melding
information from a
spotting network in with running (finding the perfect blend) is also hard to do.

I say it's time that we recognize the hard work that these "assisted" guys
expend in an
attempt to not only be competitive, but to end up the "box score" realm.

Personally, I have never used DX Spotting while single op; it's not my taste.
But I can easily
appreciate the efforts of those who do partake.

de Doug KR2Q