Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live th

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live the Kin...
From: Doug Smith <dougw9wi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 22:28:19 -0500
Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:
> Jose,
>
> Thanks for the FB data search and the interesting opinions.
>
> I would like to elaborate on one of your listed reasons,  and to add
> another, for the big increase in qsos over the years.

(Agreed, about Jose's research)

I wonder, to what degree do the "big guns" believe SO2R has impacted scores?

In the 1970s and early 1980s, one of the critical strategic decisions you had
to make during a contest was whether to run or S&P.  Today, that
decision is no longer necessary: you do *both*.

I have to think SO2R has had an impact on scores on the same order as both the
reason Jose suggests, and the one Jim suggests.

(SO2R does of course force a different strategic decision: which other band
will you do your S&Ping on?  Until someone works out the technology to S&P
on the same band on which they're CQing.  I'd bet someone is already doing that
but hasn't yet released their secret!)  (I've done it in the ARRL DX
but only while running QRP)

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66