[CQ-Contest] KH0AC SK

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] KH0AC SK
From: "Chip at Heil" <chip@heilsound.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:07:58 -0700
I am deeply saddened to report that Dr. Len Kaufer, KH0AC, became a Silent Key
today in his home on beautiful Saipan.

Len, formerly KG6SW, went out to the Trust Territory of Saipan in the 1960s as
a Jesuit priest. He brought his longtime love of Amateur Radio with him, and
eventually met an island girl named Connie Tenorio. Connie won out over the
priesthood, and they eventually got married after a personal letter from the
Pope (!) convinced Connie's strict father that it really would be OK if she
married a "former" priest.

Len was everyone's Saipan multiplier for many years. I met him, for the first
time, in 1976 in Honolulu, where we met up with Katashi Nose and Johnny
Johnston, and then Len and I flew together on Air Micronesia from Honolulu to
Johnston to Kwajalein to Majuro to Ponape to Truk to Guam and finally to Saipan
on the famous island-hopper. The 17-hour flight was an incredible adventure for
a young K7VPF, as was the experience of working the All Asia DX Contest as
KG6SW in '76, one hop away from Tokyo.

Len was an incredible gentleman, excited about DX and Ham Radio in general
until the last.

I am so very sad at the passing of a real Ham and a very close friend.

73, Dr. Len. We love ya!

Chip Margelli, K7JA