[CQ-Contest] QTC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] QTC
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:59:42 +0000 (GMT)
K5ZD said
Ever since the computer started sending the QTCs, they are very boring.

AMEN to that!

Back in the last 1960's and early 70's, WAE was my favorite contest...BECAUSE
of QTCs.
It was a blast to manually keep track of "where you are" and "what are the next
10," etc.
And keeping a manual DUPE sheet for those you sent QTCs to was also fun.

One of the most fun parts, for me, was knowing the other guy (this has been
mentioned
here already, to a degree).  If I ran into YU3EY (now S50A), I knew I could
crank up the
speed and let them rip.  I echo the comments of a recent post that I like to
"save" my
QTCs for someone who can copy them w/o asking for multiple repeats (while
upping my
CW speed and certainly not slowing down).  THAT is also part of the fun.

When WAE mixed Packet in with SO entries, I boycotted...for decades.  In
retrospect, that
was a silly move on my part.

I was very casual this weekend, putting in maybe 6 or 7 hours (I haven't
looked).  I thought
having guys ask me for QTC added to the fun (for me).  Because of my low QSO
total, I
could not send many of them, but when I could, it was fun, but not nearly as
much fun as when
I sent them manually.  Calling "CQ" with a computer is a pleasure (ie, I don't
miss that).  But
for some reason, sending QTC's by computer IS downright boring (compared to
what I recall
when doing it "by hand").

Yes, there is nothing preventing me from still sending them by hand, but then
the logging
program doesn't count them and I'd have to manually type them all into the .cbr
format.  Not
exciting and especially not fun.

Being asked for QTCs is the nature of this contest.

de Doug KR2Q