[CQ-Contest] Samsung TV RFI Warning...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Samsung TV RFI Warning...
From: Mike&Shelley Ritz <micritz@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 22:09:30 +0000 (UTC)
Thought this might be something for the QRO contest guys......

I bought my wife a brand new Samsung "top of the line" 55 inch LED 240 Hz 3D
HDTV recently, and was informed by her that every time I transmitted with the
amp on 40M it changed the TVs input settings, which of course made the screen
go black. If it was on Input 1 it switched to Input 2, etc. You had to use the
remote to manually switch it back. I tried wrapping cords and cables around
Type 77 ferrite torroids to no avail.... By the way, the "shack" is in a
different building, and the 40M antenna is at least 50 feet away from the
house!

Of course, a call to the factory netted me nothing, and my wife was not happy
with my "solution" that she could watch the small TV in the spare room during
contest weekends.....

Finally, a Samsung technician came out and discovered that the problem was RF
being picked up by the television's front panel touch sensor buttons. Yes, the
same technology that drove my neighbor nuts in the middle of contest nights
with his three way touch sensor lamps blinking on and off and keeping him awake
is being used on new Samsung televisions.

The technician disconnected the touch sensor board and "fixed" the problem. Of
course, now I have to use the remote to change channels, etc, but that is a
small price to pay to keep the XYL happy!

Just keep this in mind when you buy that new HDTV....

Gee, I love new technology.....

73'

Mike, W7VO