[CQ-Contest] Art's got his dander up again

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Art's got his dander up again
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:43:03 -0400
I had just been thinking about this issue when Paul, NG7Z, posted here
(Subj: Submitting SO2R log): "Should I put in one or two transmitters in the
Cabrillo header for the RTTY contest? I was SO2R."

Well I know you are all going to tell him that SO2R has only one signal on
the air at a time, and, therefore, is one transmitter.

I have complained about "dueling CQs" in SO2R, and have been beaten into
submission.  OK -- alternate CQ on two freq's, and work who ever answers on
what freq.

But I still cannot accept that it is OK, while you are listening to to the
guy you are working on one freq, to keep sending on the other freq,
intending NOT to reply to a call, but "just keeping the QRG clear".  That is
too much like two signals.

As I've said before, if it's OK to dump in you call or "QRX" or " . _ ..."
in the moments your are not key-down on the QSO freq, then I submit that it
is OK on CW to send logic-compliment keying on the "off" freq.  Key-up on
the QSO freq gives key-down on the other freq.  Man, that'll keep it clear!
Your carrier will be modulated, and you will (eventually, surely in less
than 10 minutes) identify, so you will comply with the regulations.  And it
has the added advantage of confusing the dickens out of anybody who tries to
copy it; they'll lose two or three QSOs just trying to figure out what you
are saying.

In the spirit of ham fellowship, I offer to build for SS CW one little
hardware device that will do just that.  Which SO2R ace wants to take
advantage of this absolutely legitimate single-op technology advancement?
First one thru the pile-up gets it.  Local pick-up preferred, but will ship
for the price of a reasonable explanation as to why this should be allowed.

73, Art K3KU