Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap

To: <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Blind Mode for N1MM Bandmap
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:39:50 -0400
Ultimately, regardless of how finely the rules are written, it comes down to
this:

Do you trust the competitors to follow the rules, or don't you?

If you do, then it should not be necessary to write rules that only a lawyer
can interpret.

If you don't, well, it doesn't matter how the rules are written, because
someone will deliberately break them.

At least half the problem with this argument, and all similar arguments
before it and all yet to come, is that we know that some of our fellow
contesters can not be trusted... and we know that some comb the rules
looking for grey areas to find loopholes or to "push the envelope."

Only we don't know which contesters can't be trusted, at least in some if
not all contests.  (We know who some of them are, but not all, and some of
those known to be untrustworthy will argue the point -- and they might be
right, in the given circumstances).

Now... do we write new detailed rules, more onerous than the last, trying to
prevent the untrustworthy from cheating?  Or do we find a better way to
clamp down on the cheaters without requiring passing the bar to understand
and comply with the rules?

Because I want K3AIR in my shack to operate, not to tell me when I'm in
danger of a rules violation.

73