Re: [CQ-Contest] Summary: Disruption of Emergency Communication during C

To: Steve Hanlon <asciibaron@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Summary: Disruption of Emergency Communication during CQWW SSB contest
From: Maarten van Rossum <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:37:16 +0100
Steve, we passed that station long time ago. We all concluded that most, if
not all, contester would keep emergency QRG's clear *if they knew it was
there.*
Of course the best stations in the world would stand by and help out. But in
order to do that they would have to know what frequencies are being used.
I don't know about you but when I'm in a contest I do not monitor the news
to see if there is a major disaster going on somewhere in the world.
During a major contest there are thousands of people on the band and by far
the most of them would be more then happy to skip the contest to assist in
emergency communication or the very least keep the emergency frequencies
clear. But there are quite a few operators out there that hardly speak any
English other then "five nine, seventy-tree" and maybe "thank you". These
people could very well be capable of unknowingly disrupt the emergency
communications.
Furthermore, conditions constantly change making it even more difficult to
keep the QRG clear.
Hoping that the best stations in the world would stand by is probably not
enough. It would be better to think about it in advance and come up with
some good ideas and maybe even get a good plan in place.

Just my 2 cents,

73, Maarten PD2R