Re: [CQ-Contest] Best SS exchange yet! -- reminiscence & confession

To: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Best SS exchange yet! -- reminiscence & confession
From: "Doug Smith [W7KF]" <doug@w7kf.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:48:15 -0700
Good story and, WOW, that brings back some memories. I remember listening in
absolute awe as Katashi would run pile-ups. That guy never missed a call or an
exchange. He could pluck a single call sign out of a pile *every* time. It was
amazing.

At the time (1960s), I was the only guy in MT (WA7DMA then) who got into CD
parties so I'd have pretty good pile-ups on me and it was exhilarating! I was
receiving on an old Hammarlund SP-200 and transmitting with a home brew rig
with a 4-400 final. Heh..

Now, there are a bunch of CW guys in MT and they're all better ops than I am
so I'm no longer getting the 12-DB advantage of being a rare section. But, I
have upgraded my receiver!

Art, thanks for that little trip down Memory Lane.

73,
Doug, W7KF
http://www.w7kf.com