Re: [CQ-Contest] From VO1DD re Interference with emergency traffic

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, ddemeza@magma.ca
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] From VO1DD re Interference with emergency traffic
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:40:45 -0700

1.  Just because you think your 600 watts should be loud in Germany
doesn't mean that you were louder than whatever European QRM DD4B might
have been experiencing.  It seems kind of presumptuous of you to simply
accuse him of ignoring you.

2.  In the U.S., the CW subband on 20m extends all the way up to 14150
... no SSB is allowed below that frequency for any class of license.
Given that 20m is not much of a short haul band much of the time, it
seems questionable to me to park an emergency SSB net on a frequency
that excludes 90% of the regional pool of potential responders.  In any
case, even you should be able to recognize the difficulty in trying to
tell someone in another country they don't have the right to operate on
frequencies authorized by their own government.

3.  Most contesters I know try their best to give emergency nets, many
of who operate on poorly publicized frequencies commonly known only to
those who spend time on them, as much leeway as necessary.  There were
tens of thousands of hams on the air that weekend and you choose to
negatively categorize all contesters based upon one of them on another
continent who probably didn't hear you anyway.  How petulant of you.

4.  What kind of "emergency" capability doesn't plan for a backup??
Your net doesn't have any provision for temporary QSY in case of
interference?  That doesn't sound like a very reliable communication
procedure to me.

It's probably a good thing that I and many other contesters choose NOT
to categorize all net operators and emergency nets based upon your email.

73,
Dave   AB7E