Re: [CQ-Contest] Wasting time

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wasting time
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:51:20 -0500
I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the "big guns" don't even bother
reading this kind of trash.  (Note, I'm definitely a "little pistol" so
I can say such things.  The nearest thing to "real contesting results"
that I had was in Field Day during the 1980's when I tried my then-new
HW-9 at class 1B-1Op battery, and placed 2nd or 3rd three years in a row
nationally in class).   There are exceptions - but many (probably most)
contest clubs focus 90+% of their energy figuring out how to slice a
millisecond or two off each contact - they only place scant lip service
to recruiting newcomers and "little pistols."

But, there are some tricks of the trade that it's hard to instill upon
the newcomer.  For example,

1. Call CQ - don't just Search and Pounce.

For example, during the ongoing ARRL 160 M contest I invited members of
a local emergency oriented club to activate their station.  I encouraged
these ops to try making contacts.  I advised them to find a "fairly
clear" frequency, call CQ and see what happens.  None of them took my
advice.  At about 11 p.m. (0400z) they all gave up.  I got on, found a
spot near 1870 KHz which was just below where phone ops were hanging
out, and started a CQ sequence.  The rate meter went from 12 to 30 to 95
(and maybe higher) for Q's/Hr in the last 20 minutes, and within one
hour I made 81 Q's before giving up.  This was with a modest 100 watt
station (Ten Tec Corsair II), a manual tuner of equivalent vintage, and
a inverted V dipole of some sort @ about 70'.for antenna.   I managed to
work the west coast (California & Washington) and a few other western
states - they all answered me.

2. Call CQ at your speed, even if that speed is 10, 15, or 20 WPM.  I
didn't pay that much attention to speeds which others were sending,
because when I was operating I wasn't doing S&P, but in the CQ WW DX
contest in a previous week I was operating QRP from home and found
several folks doing 15 WPM or less while calling CQ.

3. Just drop your call when answering a CQ.  One fellow insisted on
calling with the other ops call then our call.  He didn't make a contact
for about 10 minutes, and then finally started "just dropping our call",
and made several S&P contacts - a bit to his amazement.

4. If all else fails, get on near the end of a contest - AND call CQ.
You'll be amazed at the number of folks who will answer, because, as Al
sez, They'll be in a "Finding new stations to contact mode" having run
their "CQ TEST" mode dry.

We're gonna be operating again from the same club station tonight after
about 2300Z, so if you hear a CQ TEST DE W8xxx (xxx to preserve
anonymity) coming from SW Michigan, running at around 10 to 15 WPM. do
drop your call into the bucket.  It will (hopefully) be one of the
neophyte ops who is trying to learn CW and contesting, trying to get
over initial shyness and fright at being amongst all the "care less
about li'l pistol"  big guns.

We all need to learn.  it's a sad commentary that most contest clubs
don't do much "elmering."

73 de n8xx Hg