Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 13:09:24 EDT
As one who was directly involved in the recent (June 2009) formation of the
 Arizona Outlaws Contest Club, I believe its time for me to weigh in.

Essentially we are in the same boat as VE3CX mentions re Ontario. His
comments are below. Also included are LU5DX's original email.

Arizona, in land area, is one of the largest U.S. States. At about  114K
square miles (295 sq km), we rank 5th in the continental USA. Only TX, CA,  MT
and NM are larger (and AK of course). To put this in a "east coast
perspective", we are larger than the combined land areas of MA, VT, NH, NJ, CT,

DE, RI plus(!) NY.

Or, from another slant, AZ is larger than NY+ PA or NY + IL.

I could go on and on with scenarios but my point is, AZ has a lot of land
area and only a minor league "population center" as far as contesting goes.
Phoenix area has some concentrated activity, Tucson a bit too, but
onlyspotty  activity throughout the remainder of the state. Frankly, the 275km
CQ
Circle  rule doesn't satisfy us at all.

When we started the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club, it was clear that,
because of the wide area of our membership, we would have to eliminate some
members no matter how the circle was drawn. 275km just isn't enough to
encompass
 the state. As of now, there are 8 members, in the northern part of our
state,  who fall outside our circle. Of these 8, four are active contesters.

Anyhow, I just wanted to communicate the perspective of a western US based
contest club. The present circle requirement is brutal to serving our
members. I  am certain we are not alone.

73, Bob K8IA,  President
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
Club Call; N7AT
Website: _www.arizonaoutlaws.net_ (http://www.arizonaoutlaws.net/)