[CQ-Contest] Trip to Bonaire, PJ4

To: SECC@contesting.com, ALQP ACG <contest@alabamacontestgroup.org>, w4cvy@yahoogroups.com, FoxHunt <qfox@yahoogroups.com>, NS <nccc-blue@kkn.net>, cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Bernie McClenny, W3UR" <bernie@dailydx.com>, "Carl Smith, N4AA" <n4aa@dxpub.com>, K1to@aol.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Trip to Bonaire, PJ4
From: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 14:37:43 -0400
Hello ham friends:

I suspect that many of you don't have Bonaire, PJ4, the new DXCC entity
confirmed on all bands and modes.  Early tomorrow, May 24, Dick, K4IQJ,
and I will fly down to the K2NG/PJ4G rental QTH on Bonaire where we will
be QRV until we return home on May 31.  We will be QRV on many bands and
modes outside the CQ WPX CW Contest and I will be QRV in the contest as
PJ4A SO AB HP.  If Dick is QRV on CW on the contest bands and modes
during the contest, he will sign PJ4/K4IQJ and we will both use PJ4/home
calls outside the WPX Contest.  QSL my non-contest and contest QSOs via
K4BAI and Dick's via K4IQJ.  The PJ4A QSOs will be uploaded to LOTW
within a few weeks by KU8E.

If everything works OK, we will be able to send and receive e-mails.  Of
course, I will not do that during the contest as I will not be in the
assisted category.  I will work mostly CW, but can and will QSY to SSB
upon request.  Dick will also work mostly CW, but can and will QSY to
SSB and also I expect to RTTY.  Dick will be taking down a K9AY loop.
He spoke to the antenna forum at Dayton on Friday on using multiple K9AY
loops to improve reception on 160 and 80M.   Dick plans to emphasize
160M in spite of it being late May.  Last year, I made only three QSOs
on 160M in a week of operating, so 160M will see more activity from
Bonaire this May than last.  Note that Hans, PJ4LS, will also be QRV in
CQ WPX CW SO AB LP.

Unfortunately, we will not have equipment or an antenna for six meters
this trip.  KU8E and I will return with others probably in November for
CQ WW CW and 160M will be a better band then.

If travel plans go exactly as scheduled, I could be QRV as PJ4/K4BAI in
the SKCC SKS Sprint Tuesday night 00-02Z.  I bought a light weight hand
key from Don, K8MFO, at Dayton for that purpose, but any SKCC members
who wants a straight key QSO outside the contest may send me their SKCC
number and I'll try to change to the hand key for a QSO.

I do expect to be QRV as PJ4/K4BAI in the NCCC SNS and NS sprints on
Thursday night.  Don't forget to count PJ4 as a multiplier for that
Sprint even though it is in South America since a special rule added the
SA PJ2 islands when DC was added as a multiplier.

P40W by W2GD will also be QRV in the contest and John and I are both
shooting for the SA record, which I set last year.  RD3A should be QRV
from the Canaries as EF8R and I am sure he is shooting for another world
record.

Best wishes to all for the next week and the WPX contest and safe travel
to all who will be traveling.  I hope that Dick and I can give out many
new band/mode countries from PJ4. We will emphasize the WRTC bands for
that purpose and will also try to be QRV when Asia contacts are possible.

73, John, K4BAI/PJ4A.