Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on Proposed Changes to ARRL DX

To: aa3b.bud@gmail.com, wc1m73@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Comments on Proposed Changes to ARRL DX
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:39:18 EDT
What are the proposed changes?

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 6/18/2011 6:07:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
aa3b.bud@gmail.com writes:

Dear  Dick,

I hope this finds you well.  The purpose of this email is to  comment on
proposed changes to the ARRL DX contest.  It is my  understanding the
Contest
Advisory Committee has recommended changes to the  scoring algorithm.

I believe these changes are stimulated by a desire  to increase
participation
in ARRL DX.  While more participation is  always welcomed, I wonder if
changing the rules would accomplish this  objective.  I suspect that the
perception is that the current rules  discourage participation from parts of
the US; however, I have never seen  any data that supports this perception.
I also wonder if a rule change  might alienate some of the legacy
participants?  Will there likely be  a signficant net gain in participation?

I also believe that the ARRL  must engage the contest community in this
process in order to optimize the  outcome.  There are significant
stakeholders that have made major  investments in time and resources that
are
entitled to have a voice in this  process.  I urge you to reach out to the
major contest clubs and  solicit their inputs before any changes are
finalized.

Enjoy the  summer and hope to see work you in IARU.

73 Bud  AA3B