Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field
From: John W <xnewyorka@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:05:24 -0700
To restate the obvious, by the laws of physics, the playing field is not level.
It is far too complex to ever be rendered level by any artificial means (i.e.
scoring adjustments.)
Any attempt to do so will undoubtedly result in somebody somewhere claiming
reverse discrimination.
For those of you with a mathematical aptitude, the problem is that there are
too many independent variables.

Expanding a little on a comment made by someone else with whom I agree: If
winning really is that important to you, and you feel that your geography is
preventing you from winning, then you should either:
a) move;
b) build a remote station;
c) be a guest op;
d) go on a DXpedition
e) enter a less hotly contested category
f) change your definition of winning - for example, you can decide that if you
had the highest score in your category within 200 miles of your QTH, then you
won. I see nothing wrong with that definition.

But a word of warning - even if you choose to do one of the above, the playing
field still won't be level. That is the nature of the game we are in - there is
an element of skill, an element of good station engineering, an element of
geography, and an element of luck. Many factors contribute to what we might
categorize as luck, including ionospheric conditions, local storms, power
outages, computer malfunctions, who spotted you vs. spotting your competitor,
how wide a signal does a neighboring run station have, etc.

If you really want to compete with a level playing field, or at least as level
as it can get as a practical matter, then you need to get all the ops with whom
you want to compete to submit their high scores on RUFZ or Morse Runner or
other similar programs.  *Just make sure everybody has the same level of
background noise in the room (or, better yet, everybody is in the same room),
and everybody uses the same pair of headphones, and uses the same settings in
the program, or else the playing field still won't be level.

John
W2ID