Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents

To: "kr2q@optimum.net" <kr2q@optimum.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents
From: Stan Stockton <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:05:27 -0500
Doug,

The problem with this thread is the title.  So many are correct in
that there will never be a level playing field.  I don't think anyone
wants to do well versus someone else because of a handicap.  If
distance based QSO points are employed, it would have to be objective
with acknowledgement that it is more difficult in a DX (distance)
contest to make longer distance contacts than shorter distance ones.

Following is my personal view not necessarily shared by others best
described in the following email I sent to W2LC following his post
related to inverse distance scoring for SS.

Scott,

I have read your post several times trying to read it with an open mind.

Rest assured there is no discussion about changing the contest to be
like Stew Perry Contest with distance based scoring and no multipliers.

There is no discussion regarding giving overall advantage to any area
over the East Coast.

Regarding the thought that it isn't broken, there are some who believe
that in the ARRL contest it may be broken when the winner and the top
finishers on the DX side will almost always be in the Carribean and
the winners and top finishers are almost always in the NE.

Obviously the CQ WW is a total mess when you compare Zone 8 and Zone
9, for example. Theoretically your station can be ten feet or 100
miles away from another and you get 50% more  points for the same
contact in USA.

If you look at the top ten for last nine years published on ARRL
website for the Phone DX Contest you will see there are two stations
and a total of 3 instances out of 90 top ten finishes where the
stations were west of the Mississippi River.  Although I have not
looked at the map to see where the other 87 top ten finishers were
exactly located, it is safe to say the vast majority are located
within 250 (meant to say 300) miles of you,

Speaking of a 300 mile radius (keep an open mind) and think about how
you would feel about it IF in a DX (distance) contest, Mexico broke up
into 50 different countries, there were 3,000 of them on the air in
S&P mode, and after many years of results it bacame clear that you
needed to be in South Texas to have much of a chance of doing well.
Let's say it was so bad that a good operator from KC1XX could not make
the top ten but on very rare occasion and the winner would never be a
W1, W2, W3, or W4.

Regarding Sweepstakes, VY2ZM wins, W6 wins, W5 wins, W0 wins, W7 wins,
KP2 or KP4 wins.

I could get rich betting the top five US in the DX contest each year
will be located within about  250 miles of some point in W1, winning
most of those bets.  You would lose the bet almost every time if you
chose any location you wanted and made the same bet for SS with a 1000
mile radius - 16 times the area.

Something is not quite right when a part time effort in a DX contest
can make top ten and knock out a full time effort by as good an
operator from a better station.

Sent from Stan's IPhone