Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents

To: <somata90924@mypacks.net>, "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Level Playing Field - my 2 cents
From: "Milt -- N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 22:52:03 -0700
I am a competitor.  I often liken amateur radio contesting to the Hot Rod
1/4 mile drag strips.  You work on your "rod" (station) all week long and
then you go the the drags on Saturday night (favorite contest) to see how
your rod (radio & antennas) and your driving skills (operating) stack up
against your hobby friends.

I do have fun, designing my stations, building my stations, operating my
stations; and winning is FUN also.  It is a reward for a total job well
done.

The point is, it can be MORE FUN for MORE PEOPLE who do all the other things
IF EVERYONE is playing on the most equitable playing field possible.

I know that a true, perfect playing field is not possible.  As they say,
:The Law of Physics" doesn't change.  Likewise, the "Law of Geographical
Location" does not change.

However, when there IS a possibility of "tilting the playing field" a bit
more towards level, then that opportunity should be taken.

If I am beaten fair and square, then I have nary a beef.

BUT, if I am consistently outscored by stations with 25% of the station I
have, by stations that make less contacts than I make, and by stations that
put in 50% of the operating time I do, it puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

IF, and that is a BIG IF, there is an opportunity to decrease the inequities
that exist in the scoring system of a contest, then by all means the Rule
Makers should make the change.  Common sense dictates that action.  That
type of change can only raise the level of activity and esteem for the given
contest.

The advent of the Stew Perry Distance Challenge in 1996 was a gigantic step
forward in HF contest scoring.  It truly has provided the opportunity for
stations from all parts of the world to be Numero Uno.

Making Distance (DX) based scoring a portion of the scoring formula for a DX
contest is a no-brainer!!  Let's see which contest sponsor is the first to
get it right in an all band DX contest.

Mis dos centavos.

de Milt, N5IA