[CQ-Contest] So2r strange 20m harmonic signal showing from a 40m tx

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] So2r strange 20m harmonic signal showing from a 40m tx
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:41:23 -0500
In working up the So2r config here, I’ve run into a strange and very wide 20m
harmonic off a 40m CW signal.

The rigs are a pair of FT-5000 and FT-2000.  Although both rigs TX will give
the effect...

Two things are strange about the 20m harmonic...

First, the signal is about 15 Khz or more wide although it tapers to quite a
broad bandwidth lifting the noise floor out at least 30 Khz either side.  When
you hear it, it does not have a pure note as you would expect from a typical
harmonic.  And on the spectrum analyzer, the signal is confirmed actually being
this wide in reality.

Second, the signal is confirmed to come from the TX.  It’s not rig to rig or
coax or other leakage path.  Yet despite this, it seems I cannot filter the
signal!

Enabling the 40m BPF filter seems to give no attenuation to this signal.  I
have 2 different sets of W3NQN style filters here which test on the VNA with
excellent attenuation (>40 db) of the 20m signal when in the 40m position.

The same effect has been observed by another gentlemen on his M2 station based
on a pair of FT-5000 today.  So its not a unique situation to my install
apparently.

I’m hoping some more seasoned So2r or M/M guys would have more experience with
this and know what the “fix” is.  It’s driving me nuts.  ha ha.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com