Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea

To: somata90924@mypacks.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Determining ASSISTED vs NON-ASSISTED -- was: =>RE: Chea
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:50:18 -0700

Just curious ... do you use Super Check Partial or Call History Files
when you contest?  Do you use a logger that automatically inserts the
zone or other exchange info for you?  Does your logger automatically
increment your exchange serial number so that you don't need to keep
track of how many contacts you've made so far?  Does your logger send CW
for you so that you don't need to?  *

Unless your answer to each of those questions is no, how did you come up
with the line dividing "technological cheating crap" from the "true
spirit of contesting"??  They all seem to me to be gray areas when
viewed from one position or another.

The truth is simply that the "true spirit of contesting" is simply
following the rules as defined by each particular contest sponsor, which
of course will differ from contest to contest.  The problem we all get
into as participants is when the contest rules are vague, poorly named,
or poorly defined and do not properly take into account the possible
impact of currently available technologies.  Then we are left to the
mercy of our own biases and inclinations that may or may not represent
what the contest sponsor intended or agree with the personal bias and
inclination of anyone else.

Dave   AB7E

*  I use all of those to some extent or other