Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Free Zones was: Re: Record Number of SAC CW Log

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest-Free Zones was: Re: Record Number of SAC CW Logs -- Now Grab YourMicrophones!
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:34:37 +0400
Pete,

We seem to agree on many issues here on the reflector, but if I understood
you correctly, your opinion is that the Scandinavian Activity Contest is a
contest with little activity?

I would say that the activity in this contest has gradually and quite
quickly increased since five years ago. I can not think of any truly
regional contest which has more active stations, considering that the
population of the Scandinavian countries is not more than 30 million
inhabitants. On the contrary, the activity during the 24 hours of operation
is pretty high on all bands, with many stations willing to QSY for other
band points and multipliers.

I both enjoy operating SAC from Scandinavia and abroad - and agree with
Barry W5GN, that the "work only this region/country" formula makes SAC and
other similar contests more interesting than all those "work everyone"
contests.

About contest-free segments, I see no problems at all with that. On the
contrary, it shows that the organizers are keen to leave space for
non-contesters to operate. Too many contest sponsors have a sloppy approach
to contest-free segments. This causes a big irritation among non-contesters.
I am definitely in favour of penalties for stations who do not follow the
suggested segments of a contest.

Looking forward to working SAC SSB this weekend, no matter if I choose to do
it from Russia or from Scandinavia itself. The band will boil from the Polar
Battle :) Listen for the characteristic Aurora flutter that most definitely
to some extent will be noticeable...

73 de RA/SM6LRR  (huge SAC fan)