Re: [CQ-Contest] Post contest log massaging (the issue in a nutshell -ma

To: <kr2q@optimum.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Post contest log massaging (the issue in a nutshell -maybe?)
From: "Ivo Pezer E73A/9A3A" <ivo.pezer@alice.it>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 11:09:43 +0200
I fully agree with your comments Doug.

Paperlog time is over and there is no need for a 30 day submission period.
In the old days post contest dupe checking was a must, task on its own, but
had to be done in order not to claim credit for duplicate QSOs. 30 day
period for a log submission in those years made sense. Today, when none of
the top scorers submitts a paper log, edditing after the contest, using all
possible means includig "ears' of others to decode what has not been decoded
during the contest is clearly outside the time allocated for competition. By
listening your own log and editting errors made during possible "reduced
concentration" periods is to me extending contest time beyond the time set
by the rules.

When NBA game is over, there are no more attempts for "nearly 3 pointer"
misses. In our hobby it seem to be allowed and (ab)used to compensate not
only for the obvious typos, but also operating skills.

Having read TF4M mail about Topband DX-ing using a remote RX makes me think
that fair competition days are nowadays even more heavily influenced by
technology. If technology is used to gain advantage against the rules,
record charts will become meaningless soon.

Fight against the technology cheaters requires focusing more on the
anti-cheating technology, which, I am happy to note, seem to be used more
and more by various contest committees.

73 Ivo I7/9A3A