[CQ-Contest] inhale, spots, skimmer, etc: WHAT'S THE POINT?

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] inhale, spots, skimmer, etc: WHAT'S THE POINT?
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:52:12 +0000 (GMT)
Hi...

I think many (most?) folks are missing the point here (as I see it), so I'll
spell it out.

The RULES could be better crafted.  So far, we have a bunch of mostly Americans
debating about what the Rules may or may not mean, what the Rules may or many
not intend, and what the Rules may or may not actually define as currently
written.Some guys say that KR2Q fails to understand things and is just nuts for
readingthe ARRL rule that way.  Then, WC1M from the ARRL CAC comes out and
AGREES with KR2Q on that interpretation of the ARRL Rule, as currently
written.  So who is nuts?

BIG POINT: ...What are the non-English speakers supposed to do?
The point (for me) is NOT to debate what exists now, which is clearly NOT
crystal clear.

Sponsors should not have rules that are "subject to individual interpretation,"
which is CLEARLY what
we have now, at least with respect to Assisted.  If native English speakers
(including Americans) can'tfigure it out, what about the rest of the world?BIG
POINT: It is not just "assisted" or "skimmer."  Recently, a video was posted of
a contestoperation.  It clearly showed one of the ops driving TWO amps on the
same QRG and bothamps, with a nice, big LED display, were being driven off the
end.  Well, certainly THAT mustbe a violation, right?  I mean, both amps are
putting out over 1500 watts, right?  NO!  In exchangedcorrespondence, the
"entrants" claim that their interpretation of "1500 watts output" is as
measuredAT THE ANTENNA.  They further cite multiple reference sources across
various industries that define it that way.  They claim long and lossy
feedlines and declare that "at the antennas" (combined) itis actually more like
1000 watts "output."  I can tell you that not one "American*" thought that
"output power" meant "at the antenna."  Uponfurther questioning of our contest
buddies "over seas" (not these same guys), other say, "Yeah,of course...at the
antenna!"   And some say, "No, at the rig."  So just where is the output to
bemeasured?  CQWWDX, WPX, ARRL DX, etc...NOBODY defines it.  Gosh, I'd sure
liketo measure my output "at the antenna."  That would be a game changer for
me!So there is no such as thing as "obvious" or "it clearly means."  This is
NOT making contestinginto a "legal document."  Rather, it is something that is
simply required so that we are all playingthe same game; so that we are all
engaging in FAIR PLAY.de Doug KR2Q* those that reviewed this video and shared
their thoughts with me.