Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Speed in Sweepstakes

To: Timothy Coker <n6win73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Speed in Sweepstakes
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 12:16:10 -0500
Interesting discussion.

I CQ'd most of the contest at 32 wpm, with bursts of up to 36 or 38 wpm
when I had big pileups.

In general, I was never asked for fills.   I did have guys who called me at
the same
speed I was calling CQ at, then, asked for complete fills (even though they
were loud).

I had no problem QRSing if someone asked.  And some did.   If signals were
marginal, I
immediately QRSed.

I heard many ops were CQing in the 30+ speed range.

I did have one very strange thing happen related to code speed.  Someone on
40m
decided to lecture me on code speed.   Without signing a call, they started
sending
"Don't you think you would work many more people if you QRS?"   I
immediately QRS to
22 wpm... send QRZ... and ... no reply from the station.  I turned up the
speed again,
and called CQ.   The station kept sending the lecture.   So, I was QRMed by
someone who
did not like my fast speed, but refused to work me when I did slow down.
Weird.

I, like many as a newbie, went through a period of struggling with speed in
SS... I would listen to a station
sending exchanges quite a few times before I'd get the whole thing.   SS is
a real test of CW skill,
and that includes speed.

I noticed that W0UA, N2IC and lots of the top-end guys were not sending at
25wpm, for sure.
SS is a pure rate contest, and speed definitely is a big factor.

I was amazed at the number of people who copied my call as W1UE... who is
Dennis, usually operating from MA.

73,

Gerry Hull, W1VE