Re: [CQ-Contest] Two Reasons Why Assisted and Unassisted Should Be Merge

To: "'JVarney'" <jvarn359@yahoo.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Two Reasons Why Assisted and Unassisted Should Be Merged
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 13:19:47 -0500
Welcome to contesting, Jim! You've chosen to get involved in the best ham
radio has to offer :-)

There are a number of problems with your argument:

First, as someone else pointed out, it's not necessarily true that Assisteds
don't win. What's true is that generally the ops who have chosen to compete
Assisted haven't put up the highest scores. It's quite likely that this has
more to do with their stations and relative operating skills than the use of
packet/skimmer. This year, K1DG and K5ZD, two of the best contest ops in the
world, are neck-in-neck for first place in the CQ WW CW USA SOAB HP
category. I'm sure had either one used packet/skimmer, he would have won
easily.

There's a nugget of truth in your argument because, generally speaking, he
who has more QSOs often beats he who has more mults (though obviously the
difference in QSOs has to be substantial.) And if every single-op used one
radio, it could be true that time spent working packet spots doesn't pay off
as well as time spent running (after all, a lot of mults "come to you".) But
these days all of the top single-ops use two radios in SO2R configuration
(listen on both, transmit on only one at a time.) Unless the run rate is
very high, a skilled SO2R operator can work packet/skimmer spots on the
second radio without substantially affecting the rate on the run radio. The
best ops can do this with run rates well over 100/hour. And even when rates
are very high, taking the time to grab a rare zone and/or country on the
second radio can be well worth sacrificing one or two contacts on the run
radio. With packet/skimmer, an SO2R op can run at high rates *and*
accumulate mults much faster than if he had to tune and listen for them.

The other problem with your argument is that it's not just a matter of
choosing (or not) to use a particular technology. Historically, the reason
single-ops were put in a separate category was because packet spots are
originated by other operators. The feeling was that the help provided was
too similar to the help provided by another operator in your shack (say,
listening on another radio and calling out spots to you) and it was no
longer legitimate to claim you did all the work yourself without any help.
Rather than put single-op packet users into a multi-op category, it was
decided to put them into an Assisted category. The term Assisted made sense
until Skimmer came along. There were lots of debates about whether Skimmer
was "Assistance" because it's not another human and doesn't resemble
multi-op like packet spots do. As you say, it's just technology. In the end,
however, CQ and ARRL decided that the help provided by Skimmer was so
similar to the help provided by packet that it belongs in the same category
("looks like a duck, walks like a duck...", etc.)

As I said in my earlier post, the difference between the Unassisted and
Assisted categories really boils down to how you find stations. Tuning and
listening is a whole different animal than clicking on packet spots. Putting
all single-ops in the same category would be like putting 100-dash runners
in the same race with 5K runners. They both move their legs fast, but
they're entirely different contests.

73, Dick WC1M