[CQ-Contest] Gary Schmidt - W5ZL SK

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Gary Schmidt - W5ZL SK
From: Larry Hammel <k5ohtee@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:31:22 -0600
It is with great sadness that I pass along news of W5ZL's passing earlier
today, February 12th.

Gary was diagnosed with a very aggressive colon cancer this past May.  The
cancer moved quickly to other parts of his body, and two chemotherapy
treatment cycles did not slow the spread.  He recently celebrated his 66th
birthday and 43rd wedding anniversary with his wife, Leslie.   To Gary's
delight, Leslie was recently licensed and obtained his former callsign
K5JFP.

Gary was an energetic contester and accomplished CW op.  One of his
proudest moments in his 50+ years in our radio hobby was representing Team
USA in the High Speed Telegraphy World Championships (HST) in Bulgaria in
2009.   He was an active FOC member and was currently serving as President
of the Central Texas DX and Contest Club.  Check out his extensive profile,
including the many callsigns he has held, by reading his profile on QRZ.com
.

Gary's many radio friends around the world will miss his friendly smile,
great sense of humor, clean fist, and superior operating abilities.
Arrangements are pending.

RIP OM.

73,

Larry K5OT..