Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB : How were condx ?
From: "Yannick (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 14:19:39 +0700
Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delayed answer.
Gain is over "real ground" as MMana computes it.
The Moxon is around 11dBi when at the exact goal frequency, you quickly loose
1dB when going far from it.
It is a Moxon on 15m but just a dipole on 10m. I got it working on 12m "by
luck" with my TS-590s internal ATU doing its job.
I was not expecting high gain on 12m and 10m so 1 S-point compared to the
vertical is matching the predictions.
I will soon try to add another reflector element on 10m to have it working like
a jungle-job (G4ZU).
The problem is that the modeling don't show a great improvement in gain while I
loose all the back lobe.
The reflector element characteristics seem also really touchy and while it will
not make the antenna worst in some cases there is no gain at all in adding the
element...

We are going a bit out of topic for the "contest" list so I will not tell much
more about the antenna.
The truth is also that I am planning to write an article about that and want to
keep the detailed undisclosed until it is published...

Thanks for your help.
73,
Yan.
---