Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Aniother rules/remote RX issue
From: "Yannick DEVOS (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 06:56:13 +0700
Hi,

I agree that with technology improvements and "connected" computer being
everywhere including inside our radios, it's hard to define what is assistance.
My opinion is that in order to make the Single-OP rules simples :
- just one transmitter one receiver and one operator in one location
- no access to external information during the contest
- reading (decoding) of the signals are made by the operator, and the content
of the informations exchanged (in fact the other station callsign) is decided
by the operator

RBN or DX-Clusters are "second receivers" so they are not allowed.
"log cleaning" using a callbook. This callbook is well integrated in the
logging program but the one who makes the decision about the callsign to write
in the logbook is still the operator. This information is not real-time and you
have no clue about who is actually active during the contest or not.

Preparing a contest is ok, you can check solar conditions and try to guess
where to be or not.
The same about knowing who is planning to operate from C5 or PJ4, but not
knowing exactly when and where to contact him (a sked).

Keyers, logging software are just hardware like your transceiver and its
digital dial, memories and automatic ATU.
They take the decision about what to write in the log for you, and they don't
give you real-time information about what's going in the contest.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y