Re: [CQ-Contest] W3ZZ

To: "'Bob Cox'" <bobk3est@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W3ZZ
From: "Peter Chamalian" <w1rm@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 08:18:50 -0400
Gene recruited me to operate from W4BVV back in the 1960's.  It was my
introduction to big-time contesting.  I learned a lot from Gene and the BVV
team.  One of the many lessons he taught me was to "look to 210 degrees" for
long-path/skew path.  I put that lesson to good use back in 1979 when
operating 15 single band in CQ WW.  The band stayed open all night including
an opening to Europe at 08z!  When that opening closed I was going to get an
hour nap but Gene's voice rang in my head -- look at 210 degrees, so I did.
Sure enough, long path/skew path was open!  I worked a VK6, 9V1, several
UL7's, a bunch of other Asians and even a few Europeans that way.

Thanks Gene -- we will miss you ole friend!

Pete, W1RM