Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU Contest Rulrs.

To: "brian coyne" <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU Contest Rulrs.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:45:31 -0400
6.4. The use of non-amateur radio means of communications (e.g. telephone or
the Internet) for the purpose of soliciting a contact (or contacts) during
the contest period is inconsistent with the spirit and intent of these
rules.>>>

That is poorly worded, because it can be taken to mean two things:

1.) It can mean we cannot do that just in the contest period, but arranging
a contact before the contest period is OK.

2.) It can also mean we cannot prearrange or solict any contest period
contacts, even before the event starts.

Technically, the way it is written means we can't ever have a sked or can't
ever arrange a contact even BEFORE the event starts, but some might read it
like this:

6.4. The use of non-amateur radio means of communications (e.g. telephone or
the Internet) for the purpose of soliciting a contact (or contacts), during
the contest period, is inconsistent with the spirit and intent of these
rules.

Wait until Nancy Grace gets hold of this. :-)