Re: [CQ-Contest] 500 Watt Amp or 1500 Watt Amp

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 500 Watt Amp or 1500 Watt Amp
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 08:17:20 -0400
Dave,

Thanks for the great examples of how things really work!!

None of the silly nonsense that 1 dB = 100 QSO's or other junk science.

The result of this, is anyone will see, is a little bit of gain can make a
difference in a pileup in a case of CLOSE signal levels. For nearly all-real
world cases, it takes 2-3 dB to even be noticeable. So the penalty is
probably only just a few QSO's over a contest for 2-3 dB ERP loss, and
mostly then with a weaker initial signal.

If the band is full of reasonable signals with moderate to good
signal-to-noise, even 6 dB or more won't make much change. If you are near
noise or QRM floor, 2 dB can be night and day, and even 1 dB might be
noticeable.

On 40 meters here (our best band for overall propagation to Europe), signals
are so good at night, shutting the amp off barely makes a difference in
contact rate. On the same band on long daylight paths, 2-3 dB is noticeable
in rate. I'd bet in an entire contest period, score would barely change from
500 watts to 1500, but decrease rapidly as 100 watts or less was approached.

dB change vs. contacts is a very specific effect related to S/N at the other
end, and could never be tied to score directly in a formula.

Excellent work Dave. One of the true useful gems, if people use it
correctly.

73 Tom