Re: [CQ-Contest] Stubs - 40 & 15 meters

To: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stubs - 40 & 15 meters
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:32:23 -0400
> Pretty simple - see W2VJN's book on stubs "Managing Interstation
> Interference"
>
> My copy is not at hand here, but as I recall it involves a quarter
> wavelength of
> coax at 40m, but 'tapped' up 1/4 wavelength from the shorted end on 15m.
> That is, use a Tee connector; on one side of the tee is a 1/4  wavelength
> shorted
> stub on 15 and on the other side of the tee is an open ended 1/2 wave stub
> on 15.
>
> But, check the book for more details.  I tried it back when I did a book
> review of
> it for NCJ and it worked FB.

Thinking about that logically, it appears it would still pass 40 meters to
me.

The reactance of a 30 degree shorted stub is the same but opposite sign as a
60 degree open stub. The result would be a parallel resonant circuit on 40,
which would also appear as an open on 15 meters.

I don't see how that would reject 40 at all.

I have ran the stub impedances to get exact values, but off the top of my
head I can't see why that would null 40. It should pass both 15 and 40.

73 Tom