[CQ-Contest] Band Category Log Submissions

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Band Category Log Submissions
From: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 16:32:35 -0400
Hello all:  It took me a while, but I found the rules that contained
what I mentioned in my last post.  The important part of that post to me
was that a contest Robot apparently could receive two logs for a single
contest from the same entrant, one as the resl log and one a check log
and not have the check log replace the real contest log submission.
That is what Mario, S56A, was stating the Robot should be able to do.

I have absolutely no problem submitting a log for one category and
leaving in other QSOs on other bands or modes for log checking purposes
that will not count for my score in my selected category.  That, in
fact, is easier for me to do than to break out the other QSOs and put
them in a separate Check Log as Mario says he did and would like to do
in the future.

So, maybe VE5SF or others with RAC can explain how their Robot can
handle these two separate logs.  Given their rule, you can understand
that it really must be done that way for the RAC Canada Contest or your
log will be reclassified to a category other that what you specified in
the contest header.

Here is the relevant portion of the rules from the RAC Canada Day
website and it appears that they were printed the same way in the
magazine, The Canadian Amateur:

"Category notes:

1.  The contents of a log that is submitted for a specific category must
reflect that category.  In the event of a conflict between the actual
content of the log and the stated category in the Cabrillo header or
contained in other elements of the entry material, the actual contents
of the log will be used to determine the category of entry where
possible.  In the event this cannot be determined or in the event where
a log does not identify the entry category, the entry will be classified
into the Multi-Operator, Multi-Transmitter, any authorized power category.

Any entrant who wants to enter a specific category (i.e. Single band
entry) but who also worked additional contacts outside that category may
submit those additional contacts in a separate check log file.  Do not
include them in the main entered category log file."

Let me emphasize that RAC is the only contest sponsor that I know of
which has this rule.  Other sponsors seem to request all contacts in one
log and the category in the header determines which contacts are counted
for the entry and all QSOs are used for cross checking logs.  Note that
RAC does not seem to encourage submission of the separate check log, but
says it MAY be submitted in a SEPARATE check log file.  The emphasis is
on those two words in the original text.

As far as I have ever known, most, if not all, other contest sponsors
accept the last log submitted for an entrant, replacing any earlier
submitted log.  Apparently the major contest logger Robots may have some
ability to recover earlier submissions if there is some reason to do so,
but they are not routinely checked or recovered.

I guess the major purpose of this post is just to verify that I did not
imagine reading such a rule recently.

73, John, K4BAI.