Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Category Weighting Factor

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Category Weighting Factor
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:34:26 -0700
Gee, I don't see teammate selection as a "bye" at all! Those who do qualify
are clearly among the best of the VERY ACTIVE contesters. But there is
another entire tier of equally skilled contesters who are not sufficiently
active to qualify. To qualify as a team captain, you must make high
qualifying scores in a dozen events. Since competition in many regions is
less than totally predictable, you really need to compete in 20 or even 30
events in a three year qualification period in order to hit 12 with enough
qualifying points. Some very skilled contesters (far more skilled than me!)
have lives outside ham radio and simply don't have time to compete all-out
in six to ten major contests a year. When they do sit down, however, they
are highly competitive. Those who have the time AND the ability to become
team captains are highly incented to choose those equally skilled (or
better) contesters as teammates in order to maximize their result at WRTC.
It's a great way to make WRTC accessible not only to the most active
contesters but also to the many very able but less active operators.

/Rick N6XI

--
Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA