Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestions

To: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Suggestions
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 09:51:23 -0300
Simply great post Jeff.
Great analogy with car racing.
I really hope Paul now doesn't say that today's car racing driver are
realtime computer assited hybrid drivers :-)
They still have to be super skilled guys with more powerful and fast cars.
I'm sure some of them are not as skilled as yesteyear's drivers, and it
also apply to ham radio contesting. The fact that packet is there doesn't
mean that there are less skilled ops jumping in a  pile up without even
listening, that happened befor packet too. Many used to call blind.
Packet cluster itself is not a bad thing, it's up to the ops the way they
use it.
But one thing is for sure, removing the assisted/non assisted distinction
will eliminate one big way of cheating where just a few can be caught out
of hundreds using packet, even if it is for gossiping the bands just a bit.
I was taking a look at the 2011 CQ WW DX CW results, there is a very very
tight finish in one of the SOAB categories, despite the two ops involved
are really honest guys, who can tell none of them didn't even looked
at  the cluster for grabbing just a couple extra mults? To be honest no one
can confirm that 100%. Don't take me wrong it is just an example based on
the closed finish by these two great ops.
I really hope CQ WW will follow WAE in this topic, it will certainly be a
fairer CQ WW for us all.
Again, Paul will say what about power cheating, ghost ops, and other bunch
of stuff?
Well, let's start solving one big issue, that can easily be solved!
And for those who doesn't want to use packet, they are still free to do
so!! That's the good thing about it, all in all, some say that SO always
beat SO(A)!

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX