Re: [CQ-Contest] band plan definition - LSB vs USB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] band plan definition - LSB vs USB
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:18:58 -0600
The following applies to amateur radio operators in the United States, quoted directly from the FCC regulations:

97.307(b) Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to the band or segment available to the control operator. Emissions outside the necessary bandwidth must not cause splatter or keyclick interference to operations on adjacent frequencies.

97.307(d) For transmitters installed after January 1, 2003, the mean power of any spurious emission from a station transmitter or external RF amplifier transmitting on a frequency below 30 MHz must be at least 43 dB below the mean power of the fundamental emission.

Now, my interpretations, using the upper band limit of 20 meter SSB as an
example:

- If my station is operating on USB, with a typical 3 dB transmit bandwidth of 2.7 kHz, then virtually all of the power of my fundamental emission is above my suppressed carrier frequency, and extends from my suppressed carrier frequency to at least 2.7 kHz above my suppressed carrier frequency.

- Therefore, if I am transmitting on a suppressed carrier frequency above 14247.3, there can be absolutely no doubt that I am violating my country's regulations. My country's regulations supersede anything stated in an IARU band plan. (For those who might consider this too technical, the suppressed carrier frequency is the frequency shown on your radio's digital display.)

- When you consider the shape factor of typical transmit filtering, and the 3rd order IMD characteristics of SSB transmitters, the situation is actually much worse than I have stated. Your suppressed carrier frequency would need to be significantly below 14247.3 for all of your emissions to be at least 43 dB down from the mean power of your fundamental emission.

And, on a more personal level, if you are running on any frequency above 14247 (or 21447), you simply will not work me. I sincerely hope that other USA stations abide by the FCC rules, too.

73,
Steve, N2IC