[CQ-Contest] CQWW Rules changes - See CQWW site for explanation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Rules changes - See CQWW site for explanation
From: José Nunes CT1BOH <ct1boh@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 15:43:15 +0100
Regarding CQWW Rules changes n explanation of the changes can be seen at
http://www.cqww.com/rules_2012changes.htm

I copy below the the part regarding the "log only the call sign you sent
during a completed exchange:

*Rule XII.2 - “Log only the call sign you sent during a completed exchange.”
*

The "call sign you sent" refers to the "other station's call." i.e., the
station you are working.

Over the last several years, SDR recordings of the contest have been
utilized to carefully listen to highly competitive entrants. In some cases,
when comparing the call signs that Running stations (those who ‘own’ a
pileup) sent during the contest to what they actually submitted in their
logs, we found the two would not always match. In these cases, the call
signs sent by the Running stations during the QSO were broken or busted
call signs (they did not match the actual calls of the stations they were
working). Clearly, one way this can happen is when there is post-contest
call sign correction.

This rule was crafted because some entrants may claim that these
corrections were based on “notes” made during the contest and therefore are
“part of the log.” The contest committee has no way to verify if these were
made from “notes” during the contest or by use of databases (including a
recording of your own contest effort) after the contest. This rule makes it
clear that we expect the call sign in the log to match what was sent OVER
THE AIR during the QSO.

Q: "What should an entrant do if he/she sends a “busted or broken” call
sign during the contest?"

Instead of making (only) a manual note, send the corrected call sign (or
the corrected part of the incorrect call sign) during the contest exchange.

For example, if the running station (entrant) pulls out DX1A from the pile
up and sends the QSO exchange, when the answering station replies with
DX1AAT, the running station should send, as part of the current QSO, either:

   - The complete call: DX1AAT, or
   - The corrected part: AAT

Equally, if the running station (entrant) sends DR2AA and makes the QSO
exchange, when the answering station replies with DR2Q, the running station
should send either:

   - The complete call: DR2Q, or
   - The corrected part: 2Q, or
   - Just the corrected letter: Q

When the contest committee reviews the SDR recording, there must be an
indication that the runner (entrant) acknowledged *and* corrected the error
*at the time of the QSO.*

The entrant should *never* log *both* the wrong call *and* the corrected
call. The intent of the rule is to log *only* the *correct* call sign for
each completed QSO.**

Q: “What you describe works for the station that is running because it must
send the call sign of the station it wishes to contact. What about for QSOs
made while tuning the band (search & pounce)?"

Most entrants answering a solicitation from a Runner (calling CQ, QRZ,
TEST, etc.) do not send the call sign of the station they are trying to
work. They simply send their own call and then wait to see if the Runner
answers them. This is OK. We are expecting the Runner to send the call or a
correction of the call so we can verify a match with what is logged.**

Historically, highly competitive entrants spend most of their contesting
time running. Therefore, this rule is intended primarily, but not
exclusively, for those entrants who are highly competitive in their
category of entry.**

Q: “During the contest, I made a number of notes about some of my QSOs that
needed to be corrected. Since the notes were made during the contest, can I
incorporate those changes into my log after the contest ends?”

During the contest, most of us have, at some point, done something “wrong”
within the logging window. One example might be forgetting to hit the
<enter> key and then adding another call sign which results in some very
long, bad call. Or maybe we added part of the number exchange to the call
sign. The entrant feels so rushed, he/she just wants to “move to the next
QSO,” so a “note” is created about what really happened.**

The answer is that it depends on the actual circumstances. The new rules
require that whatever you *sent* during the completed exchange be
accurately represented in your submitted log.**

So if you SENT the correct information during the real-time completed QSO
exchange, then yes, you can modify your log as per “notes.”**

The contest committee will judge what you SENT based its SDR recordings of
the contest.**

Q: “May I submit my own SDR file or audio file to show that what I logged
matches what I sent?”

No. Only the contest committee’s own SDR files will be used for
adjudication.

--
José Nunes
CONTEST CT1BOH - http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh