Re: [CQ-Contest] KL7 is country and state?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KL7 is country and state?
From: VE1AL@eastlink.ca
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 14:10:13 -0300
I totally disagree with you, Charles.  And as you may recall, this issue
has been a bugaboo for me for many years.

The simplest resolution to this problem is for the FCC to simply issue an
order to every US-licensed amateur radio operator, if he is operating
outside the area in which he/she was licensed, to either change his
callsign to one in the area to which he/she moves (like the old days)  --
OR -- to append a portable identifier to indicate the area in which he/she
currently resides.  And that appended prefix should be ONLY from the W or K
block and be from 1-0.  Therefore the KL7 who operates from the 4th call
area is /W4 and not AA4, KX4, NB4 or WG4.  Similar for the N6 who operates
from Massachusetts with no appended identifier...in future he would be
N6xx/W1.  And W2xxx in Florida becomes W2xx/W4 until he/she moves back to
NY/NJ or finally adopts a Florida call.

I remember W2AL whose Florida call was W4AL.  He was a very lucky guy!

By reason of distance from the governing authority, like CY9 & CY0 are,
KH6/KL7 (as states), to my way of thinking, should remain on the DXCC List
as countries.  Puerto Ricans, whether they are granted statehood, should
similarly append to their calls the area in which they reside...like
KP4xxx/W7 in Tucson, for example.  I certainly don't appreciate the KH2 who
operates from Florida with no appended prefix, no more than the poor
European DXer who thinks he's working a KH2 in Guam.

This whole can of worms created by the FCC could so easily be resolved with
a simple order from the FCC.  But who says governments are logical???????

73

Al, VE1AL