[CQ-Contest] What's all the talk about "Frequency owner?"

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] What's all the talk about "Frequency owner?"
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:39:33 -0500
Several times while I was "running" during the recent NAQP another op would plop down on the frequency (NOTE, I did NOT say it was "MY" frequency because no one "owns" a frequency") and called CQ.

Only a very few times the fellow figured out that I had been calling CQ on the frequency, and occasionally making a contact. Most other times I just searched around, found a "fairly quiet" frequency, and called CQ again.

I was running my "might 4.9999 watts to a cloud warmer antenna" so it was perhaps understandable.

But, in past encounters, when I was running 100 watts to a "fair to middling" wire antenna, I found that ops would try the same tactic. After 5 or 10 minutes of neither of us making contacts, or only very few contacts, the other station would slink away. And, when on the very, very rare occasion that I was in a contest with a "full gallon" station and a "fair to middling full size yagi" I NEVER gave in to the LID who tried to stomp on the frequency I was using. (Note, I NEVER said, and NEVER will say that the frequency I was using was "MY" frequency because the FCC doesn't assign frequencies.) But, if I'm there first, and I have a "fair to middlin' signal, I'm not about to leave it unless someone declares "EMERGENCY.")

So,all the discussion about "who's frequency it is" seems specious to me.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time