[CQ-Contest] "My Frequency"

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "My Frequency"
From: Julius Fazekas <phriendly1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 05:45:04 -0800 (PST)
OK, I realize many have been rubbed raw by this topic and the behavior of some
operators. It is a passionate subject.

Perhaps where I don't own an amp or have a mega antenna farm, I look at it a
bit differently. Losing a run frequency can be, and often is, an opportunity.
For the few rude, aggressive, and inconsiderate operators there are many more
who do send "QRL?" or a string of ditty dadah ditties and move on. I had this
happen to me a number of times this past weekend and I was even able to
maintain a QRP run frequency. There were even a couple of times I picked up a
run frequency because someone "vaporized". That's part of the ebb and flow of
the game.

Most of the calls I see in these discussions have been around longer than I, in
the last ten years or so, I pretty much know who is SO2R and can recognize
delays for what they are. Of course, if someone was calling CQ and I, and often
others, drop  their calls in and nothing, drop their in again and nothing,
maybe do this several times with no reply, if I send "QRL?" and still have
nothing, it's now "my" run frequency (assuming the layers of other stations
calling who I can't hear, don't run me off as well).

>From my perspective, the far worse SO2R behavior is in pile-ups. But that is
>another story :o)

I'd like to thank all the considerate ops who played in NAQP. You're the folks
who keep me coming back.

72,
Julius

Julius Fazekas