Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-Assisted vs. Assisted

To: RT Clay <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-Assisted vs. Assisted
From: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:58:33 -0300
That's true Tor.
I tried to explain that and considering Skimmer spots are produced for the
same stations on a given QRG every three minutes or so I guess (on each
skimmer server) and given the fact that there are tens of skimmer servers
in the RBN it is most likely that some (probably several) of the DX
stations you call match the time stamp of the spots, but that doesn't mean
you are assisted either.

I closely analyzed two logs that belong to two stations that finished in a
very close race in a major contest in SOAB. Specially during the first day
there is a clear linear pattern in one of the logs. As the contest advances
into the second day that pattern fades away, which is a totally logical
thing given the fact that there are less and less mults as you approach the
second 24 hours of the test, and finally the linear pattern is completely
gone.

Now given the fact that there is a very small difference in the final score
between the two, only thing you can do is trust the two ops. I mean in this
case it's okay because we are talking about guys that don't need to prove
they are honest contesters. But you can only trust in a very few cases, for
one reason or another.

So why not to eliminate at least that possibility. Giving the chance to use
a tool to everyone. Of course those not liking it, are allowed not to use
it. In fact, the vast majority of contesters that make a few hundreds or a
couple thousands Qs just for fun, will see no difference or feel no harm
because of a category merge.

It will only ensure results are fair in that respect (DX spotting usage).
That's it.

One thing is for sure, the top 5 / top 10 boxes, the plaques and awards for
top positions will be a lot more meaningful to everyone.

Anyways, there still will be a few more issues to solved, and probably time
and technology will make it possible too....

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX