[CQ-Contest] old telegraphers' honor

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] old telegraphers' honor
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 16:35:59 +0700
I promise not to write so much to you patient guys.......

Long ago, as telegraph and radio telegraph came into being, the telegraph
operator was sworn to secrecy in his message handling.  Further, he was
charged with sending and copying exactly the message as given and never to
falsify or give misleading signals.  My FCC license, back in 1957 and for
years afterward, required the same strict honorable behavior of me as a ham.

Our hobby, then, has a legacy more demanding than most hobbies: honesty.
This is beyond motor bike touring, rock climbing, or stamp collecting.  The
legacy was actually law at one time.

For me, ham radio is an ideal, a world where even a dishonest snake in the
grass enters and, inside, strips off that bad skin for the sake of the ham
community and the honor and spirit of ham radio.  It feels very satisfying
to be in that ideal world, that fraternity, where inside it, we can have a
very special relationship.  Thankfully, there are VERY few snakes in the
radio grass, but just one taints this ideal, and I have to say --even in my
own glass house-- I don't like that taint.

Hopeful, happy 73 to all,
--
Charly, K4VUD, still enjoying every day as a ham !