Re: [CQ-Contest] Why "Phone is easier"

To: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why "Phone is easier"
From: Jeff Kinzli N6GQ <jeff@N6GQ.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 13:32:11 -0800
I'm not sure its "easier", per se, but its definitely different.

I consider myself an "average" SSB op, and a reasonably good CW op,
and definitely look forward to CW contests a lot more than an SSB
contest. Inevitably about an hour into each SSB contest I do, I find
myself asking "why the *$(# did I do this again?". But at the end of
the day, I enjoy both. I actually prefer to do SSB contests as SO, and
CW contests as part of a multi, but that's just me...

I think the thing I really enjoy about phone contests are that I feel
"closer" to the other ops - there's something about a voice that
imparts more closeness, and connection. As much as I love CW, that is
one piece that I do enjoy about SSB (it can be a challenge, too! :)

I also agree that SSB can be much more difficult to deal with, is
often more tiring, and frustrating due the QRM.

My hat goes off to super FB SSB ops like N6KT, W2SC, N5TJ, and others
that can make it seem effortless to the casual observer.

73 de N6GQ/YN2AA (looking forward to ARRL CW) :)