Re: [CQ-Contest] SS tempest in an out-of-state teapot

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS tempest in an out-of-state teapot
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 17:24:12 -0700
There is no reason to bring in the ARRL people as we have not really come up with anything substantial other than attempting to shave some time off the contest which there is not even an agreement on how.

Most people take around 4 hours off in the middle of the night because the rate really falls off, at least in the west. I usually try to save two hours off for those Sunday periods that are very slow.

The end of the contest usually picks up as there are many who like to get on at the end to be very fresh blood.

Can we tighten the times so that we don't have a middle of the night dead zone and Sunday afternoon?

Is going 24 hours straight a reasonable answer for us? We are not getting any younger and I am not seeing much new young blood entering the hobby.

I never quite understood why the contest went so late into Sunday night or Monday AM UTC.

Once again I have no answers here.

Mike W0MU