[CQ-Contest] Contest summaries on mobile devices

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest summaries on mobile devices
From: Michael Dinkelman <mwdink@clearwire.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 21:35:48 -0800
Hi All

I am attempting to learn about Android and move the 3830 summary process
into the mobile world as I do so.

So, for the past couple weeks, I've been developing an app to provide
a summary of the ARRL DX  test. (Actually, it's more limited than that,
it only does the CW test right now but adding SSB would be simple. <grin>)
This would be the first of a possible series of on-going apps, each one
gaining from the trials of the previous.

I'm looking for a few people that are willing to be guinea pigs. You would
need
an Android based device (phone, tablet, media player) and know how to
install a third party application (APK file). I can't help you much there
as each
device may be different. You won't find this on Google Play though that's
an eventual goal if the app is found useful.

I've tested it on a (non-phone) Samsung Galaxy and a rooted (Cyanogen Mod
7) Nook.
It would be useful to see if it works on actual phones and other tablets.
It might
also be interesting to see speed differences between a phone's data stream
and
wifi (which is all I have access to.) It's been a real learning curve and
it's not perfect
but I can see the possibilities. This is the first step of a journey.

Now obviously, the 2013 running of the ARRL DX CW hasn't happened yet so the
app supports the 2012 results for test purposes.  Once the 2013 scores
start
getting posted, you should be able to bring up a summary the ARRL DX CW any
time
you want.   Screenshot of my two devices:  *http://tinyurl.com/aunbx5s
*(btw, the screenshots only show partial 2012 data and some columns are
customizable.)* *More interesting filters and sorts to come - hopefully.*

*If this interests you, please drop me a note and I'll pass along the
location*
*of the latest APK as well as some notes.

cheers
dink, N7WA

*
*