Re: [CQ-Contest] Different Location,

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Different Location,
From: "Rick Lindquist, WW1ME" <ww1me@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 17:09:06 -0500
FWIW, here's what the FCC regulations have to say on the topic, probably
further muddying the already cloudy waters:

Part 97

§ 97.119 Station identification
(c) One or more indicators may be included with the call sign. Each
indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant mark (/) or by
any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an indicator is
self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both before and after,
the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may conflict with any other
indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with any prefix assigned to another
country.

(d) When transmitting in conjunction with an event of special significance,
a station may substitute for its assigned call sign a special event call
sign as shown for that station for that period of time on the common data
base coordinated, maintained and disseminated by the special event call sign
data base coordinators. Additionally, the station must transmit its assigned
call sign at least once per hour during such transmissions.

(g) When the station is transmitting under the authority of §97.107 of this
part [reciprocal operating authority  ?  Ed]], an indicator consisting of
the appropriate letter-numeral designating the station location must be
included before the call sign that was issued to the station by the country
granting the license. For an amateur service license granted by the
Government of Canada, however, the indicator must be included after the call
sign. At least once during each intercommunication, the identification
announcement must include the geographical location as nearly as possible by
city and state, commonwealth or possession