Re: [CQ-Contest] How "off time" was calculated for CQWW

To: <kr2q@optimum.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How "off time" was calculated for CQWW
From: "Christian Schneider" <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 23:23:18 +0100
KR2Q wrote: Several years ago, somebody (I forget who), did the same
analysis by pulling in all the logs and assigning various criteria for the
"off time" and then coming up with "the iron men."  I'm sure changing to 15
minutes won't change things much on a relativistic basis.
---------------

Here are the quoted figures with the effect of different off-time
definitions:
http://www.dl8mbs.de/40984/47701.html
(the basic op-time statistics from this playing with open logs are at
http://www.dl8mbs.de/40984/45289.html - tnx to DL6MHW)

We tested with off-time definitions of 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 minutes. The
opinions what reflects operating in "contesting mode" best may vary. I think
something like 15/20 minutes fits best.

But I´m innocent about the "iron man"-quote ;-)   But I must admit that I´m
sympathetic for something like a 26-hours-subcategory (hoping for the best
net effect from some reducing and supposedly more increasing op-time). As as
less risky sounding start adding op-time to line-scores may help - giving a
clear overall picture. And it gives an additional and realistic measure for
one´ own outcome. Beating ES5TV investing 40 hours when he does only 5 may
sound more impressive without the op-times added ;-).

73, Chris (DL8MBS)