Re: [CQ-Contest] recruiting yourth methods

To: "'Charles Harpole'" <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] recruiting yourth methods
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 09:09:57 -0500
I have spent about 45 years working with Jr. Hi and High school kids.  Part
of that time, I taught Physics at three different high schools. You'd think
that I would have a pretty good insight about what makes kids tick but I was
not able to get either my kids or grandkids interested in getting a license.
I was also a Cub Master and Scoutmaster and I think this should be the way
to get kids interested.  Scouts have a merit badge that includes radio info
so I think that it should be approached at that level.  (You can be a Boy
Scout in the fifth grade) (or about 11 years old) I got interested when I
was in the 6th grade over 50 years ago. Get a charismatic fellow to teach
the info for the merit badge and include the process to get a license. ARRL
should make it a priority to support Boys Scout groups who teach the Radio
Merit badge. They should have a curriculum for scout troops that aren't used
to teaching to match the requirements of the radio badge. Clubs in a certain
area should get a list of active Scout Troops and their scout master. Have a
committee that is responsible for providing the lessons and helping with the
test...and support. The contacts could support a local school and ask the
principal if they could use a classroom after school for the class....that
way the kids are already there.

If you want the schools to be involved, you should pick folks that are both
hams and teachers. Remember, teachers are under tremendous pressure in most
states to "teach to some test or another" and ham radio is not on the test.

Bill W5VX