[CQ-Contest] WPXCW

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPXCW
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:51:45 -0400
“And no one jumps on a frequency of someone running a pile.”

Absolutely NOT true!

People jump on my run freq. (and other people’s run freq.) pileup or no pileup.

While a pileup SHOULD act as a deterrent, it often does not because the lid
usually doesn’t
listen to the freq. before cqing.  And then, being a lid, once he (or she)
cq’s, he thinks that it is his freq. and acts like a barnacle on a boat hull.

Some of the BIG stations that habitually pull this crap, feel that they can
generate their
own pileup on top of yours and then drive you away, so again, a pileup means
nothing
to them.  If you operate long enough in contests, then over the years you will
see and hear things that simply
defy belief.

Note – we all make mistakes, hit the dial without realizing it, have a brain
freeze and call
cq over someone we just worked, cause qrm to a run freq. while not fully paying
attention, etc.
We have all done that – the difference is that a GOOD op realizes that he acted
like a lid, apologizes and
goes away quickly.  On the other hand, the true lid just stays there oblivious
– or intentionally – compounding the mistake
and inflaming the situation by digging in his heels and causing more qrm.

I quickly forget all the stations that have made a mistake – and hopefully they
forget me too after I goof up.
But I ALWAYS remember the lids who behave this way intentionally.  Not
surprisingly, it tends to be the same
ops over and over again and often the same multi-ops again and again.

Intentionally operating like a schmuck may occasionally give someone an
advantage or move them up
a place or two in the standings.  But it comes at a high price because with it
comes loss of respect, making enemies
and earning a reputation as an a*****e.  “What goes around comes around”.

73

Bob Shohet, KQ2M